Thursday, July 10, 2008

THE KENYAN MAASAI MARKET.

AFRICAS LARGEST MARKET (BY TRONY V.INGATI

Growing up as young girl in Kenya, I thought it good to be able to acquire little pieces of handy-crafts that I could call my own. Bangles, black dolls, rings, anklets, weaved baskets, a parrot house and so forth.
To me these things expressed the African way of life and failure to have them meant that I was not such a happy girl at the end of the day. In order to keep this feel good attitude, my mother took me to trips across Africa to get whatever it is that would make me happy.
But of all the African countries that I visited none seemed to be resourceful as the Massai Market, (Africa’s largest handy-craft market.)
The Maasai market is situated in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi. Operating three times a week, in different locations (Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday). It provides a good shopping experience for anyone who wants to get everything African.
Carvings of all sorts can be found in this place. Long legged giraffes and Maasai morans (Warriors) carvings fly whisks, crockery, cutlery, and pottery, thousands of batiks to pick form, jewelry and antiques. Whatever it is you are looking for you will find in this market.
An interesting aspect that I have discovered is that every time I spent shopping with my mother in the market for accessories there were always new designs that would make me stand in awe while shopping. So every time you shop you are bound to find something new again and again.
As for other small curio shops you are not unlikely to find plenty of versatility. The creations maybe well selected but not an adequate variety to pick from when it comes to making a choice that will make you fully satisfied at the end of the day.
When looking for good bargains in the Maasai markets, it would do you good to look through very carefully. Get the personal contact of the dealer or the maker of what you are buying, in case you need more supply, a repair on damaged goods and so forth.
The Maasai market traders are very friendly and it will be easy to communicate with them as you carry out with your purchases. However be very careful not to let your friendly nature take toll for they might end up selling their curios at a high price that might not be very pleasing to you as a tourist. If you happen to visit the Maasai market with a local guide and have difficulty throughout your communication while trying to buy something you like, you could ask for assistance from the guide and have them negotiate a good price for you.
Once in the Maasai market grub all you can for it is bountiful with Africa’s finest handy-works. The ‘A Must Buy’ would be the sandals. With a wide variety to pick from you will find yourself getting accustomed to the Kenyan way of life. The fabric painted batiks is another in the category hence worth retaining. Mostly, colorful and well painted they will be great looking on a frame up your wall when you return back home.
It has been years and indeed my mind has eaten up enough dust all around in my travels through Africa. No matter where I go or how far I am from home (Kenya) nothing beats the inspiration for creative hands in artistry of sorts that tends to fill me up to completeness with the variety that the Maasai market offers.
For all your Kenya safari, Uganda safari, and Rwanda safari visit http://www.ugandagorillasafaritours.com.

No comments: